Important points to consider before migrating FotoWeb 7.0 to version 8.0
When updating a FotoWeb 7.0 to version 8.0, a number of concepts have changed. Make sure you study this document carefully to make sure you understand the implications of migrating to FotoWeb 8.0.
FotoWeb 8.0 requires faster hardware
Before commencing an update to FotoWeb 8.0, make sure you study the system requirements of all the affected FotoWare products in your system.
FotoWeb 8.0 is a major leap from FotoWeb 7.0 in many ways and requires more power, memory and I/O to operate properly.
One main difference in memory requirements for FotoWeb 8.0 is that it requires an additional 1GB or memory per 100.000 assets. An easy way to tell whether a system has sufficient memory when running FotoWeb 8.0 is to check the physical memory usage in the Windows Task Manager. An aid to getting the system specifications right before updating can be found in the Example configurations section of the FotoWeb system requirements.
FotoWeb 8.0 requires Index Manager 8.0
It's recommended to install Index Manager 8.0 before proceeding to update FotoWeb to version 8.0.
Local file system archives are not supported
FotoWeb 8.0 can only connect to Index Manager archives. It cannot directly browse a folder in the file system.
A single Index Manager can no longer serve two FotoWeb servers
In version 7.0 it was possible to have a single Index Manager server handle indexes and search processing for more than one FotoWeb server. This is no longer possible with version 8.0, as Index Manager syncs metadata exclusively with a single connected FotoWeb.
The other way works fine: It is possible to have several Index Manager servers deliver content to a single FotoWeb.
Metadata sets replace metadata editors
What does this imply?
Existing Metadata editors in FotoWeb 7.0 are deprecated. FotoWeb 8.0 uses metadata sets, which are collections of fields with permissions that control how they behave from a users's perspective.
Watermark implementation has been redesigned in FotoWeb 8.0
Watermarks are no longer set on the user level. This requires a revision of the status of watermark application after an update to version 8.0.
Albums need to be migrated
What does this imply?
An album migration tool is available that will convert your FotoWeb 7.0 albums so that they can be found and used in FotoWeb 8.0.
In FotoWeb 7.0 a Microsoft SQL Express database is used to store albums and album settings. The tool will copy albums, and album assets that are linked to an index manager index, and import them to FotoWeb 8.0. Note that assets that have been added to an album from a local disk archive will not be migrated since this in unsupported in FotoWeb 8.0 - see above remark on local file system archives.
Requirements for the album migration tool
Before running the migration tool make sure that:
1. FotoWeb 8.0 is running
2. You don't have any albums created in FotoWeb 8.0
Downloading and using the album migration tool
- Contact Support to get access to the tool.
- Log on to the Windows Server console with an account that has read access in the SQL database.
- Run the migration tool by double clicking on the AlbumMigration.exe file.
- A console window will open, and when the window closes the migration has finished. Normally this operation only takes a few seconds.
- Verify in FotoWeb that your albums have been successfully imported.
Album permissions are set per group in FotoWeb 8.0
In FotoWeb 8.0 album permissions are set per group. Administrators should review group album permissions to make sure users can properly use their albums.
Quicklists are deprecated, but can be converted
FotoWeb 8.0 uses taxonomies to deliver predefined content for metadata input. A tool exists that allow conversion of existing quicklists to taxonomies.
The quicklist migration tool will convert your quicklist files into taxonomy fields with the values from each file. The quicklist files are flat files, so the resulting taxonomies will have a flat structure.
Notes on the quicklist migration tool
- Values that contain %%INS macros will be skipped. Only text values are imported.
- Illegal characters (such as /\#%,?+) will be replaced by _.
- Duplicate values within the same field on a site will be skipped.
- After running the quicklist migration tool, re-run the FotoWeb Upgrade Wizard to initialize the changes.
Downloading and using the quicklist migration tool
- Contact Support to get access to the tool.
- Before running the migration tool, make sure FotoWeb 8.0 is running.
- When FotoWeb was updated to version 8.0 a backup of the existing quicklists was created in the site base folder.
Unpack the contents of backup-MetadataSets-DATE.zip into the Site Settings\SITENAME\Metadata Sets folder.
- Run the migration tool by double clicking QuickListMigration.exe file. This will open up a dialog box showing you the FotoWeb 7.0 metadata sets that each typically contain a number of quicklists. Select the metadata sets with the quiclists you want to migrate to a taxonomy and click the migration button. In the lower part of the tool you will see any output from the migration. Run the tool once, and set up taxonomies for an archive to see any values added to those taxonomy fields.
- Rerun the FotoWeb Upgrade Wizard or manually delete the Site Settings\SITENAME\Metadata Sets folder.
Destinations are deprecated
FotoWeb 8.0 uses Actions, which offer far superior functionality. These will have to be set up from scratch. Existing Destinations from FotoWeb 7.0 are not migrated.
Interface customizations will not be carried over
Any user interface customizations that have been made to your FotoWeb 7.0 site will be discarded. FotoWeb 8.0 comes with two new interfaces, the main and the Pro interface. The Pro interface comes as it is and cannot be modified.
In FotoWeb 8.0 the entire Documents folder has been deprecated - it no longer contains any customizable template files.
Search trees are deprecated
In FotoWeb 8.0 taxonomies are used to offer much the same functionality as search trees did for archive navigation and content filtering in FotoWeb 7.0.
Migrating from FotoWeb 7 and Archive Agent
The FotoWeb 7 Archive Agent API is still available in FotoWeb 8, and it is included in the Enterprise edition of FotoWeb. (Read more about FotoWeb Licensing.) Integrations made using the Archive Agent interface in version 7 will continue to work in version 8.
FotoWeb 8.0 also features a brand new, more powerful REST API which can be used to create new integrations. This REST API is licensed separately. You can migrate your existing integrations based on the Archive Agent API to the new REST api, though this will require updating the API code and changing the authentication mechanisms.
Several permissions have now been moved from individual users to the group level
These permissions are affected:
User registration / signup in FotoWeb 8.0
The user signup functionality has been completely redone in FotoWeb 8.0. Learn all about the improvements.
Video support is completely redone and much improved in FotoWeb 8.0
FotoWeb 7.0 supports video playback using browser plugins, such as Quicktime, Silverlight, and Flash. These technologies are discontinued in FotoWeb 8.0 and will gradually stop working in FotoWeb 7.0 as browsers deprecate plugin functionality.
FotoWeb 8.0 has an audio/video transcoder built in which will make virtually all video formats play back in browsers without requiring additional plugins. The new transcoder is far superior, works on all browsers and devices, and is future proof as it can transcode most formats into something that will be playable in the future.
FotoWeb can also be licensed with an additional audio/video module, which offers support for key frame extraction and navigation, and advanced playback controls.