Choosing events and metadata to log
These settings are found under Settings - Behavior - Logging in the FotoWeb site configuration.
FotoWeb can log all activity that takes place on the site. These logs can be used to extract statistics of different sorts and/or monitor other activities.
Enable activity logging needs to be ticked to store activity logs in the database. Metadata records are always stored in the database, and you can control the fields to include in the logs by ticking the required fields in the list of available fields below.
Events to log
Define the activity events to be included in the logs.
Search activity is always logged
As you can see from the choice of events to log in the screenshot above, Search is not listed. That's because all search activity is always logged. This cannot be disabled. Logging of searches works as follows:
- If you search in a single archive in the FotoWeb Pro interface, a single search activity is logged
- If you search in ALL archives in the FotoWeb Pro interface, one search activity is logged per archive
- If you search in a single archive in the standard FotoWeb interface, one search activity is logged for the currently selected archive
- If you search in ALL archives in the standard FotoWeb interface, one search activity is logged for the first archive that contains hits that the user has access to. That archive is the one shown right after the search is performed
- If you search in ALL archives in the standard FotoWeb interface and there are no hits in all archives, NO search activity is logged.
Metadata fields to include in Log
Use this area to define the metadata fields that should be included in the logs.
After adding one or more metadata fields for logging and saving the changes, these fields will not be immediately available in custom reports. To make new files show up in the reports users must first trigger a log event on a file or collection of files that contains a value in the metadata field(s) in question. Only then will the metadata field be visible when a custom report involving these fields/events is created.
The Source, Byline and Object Name fields are used in the standard reports in the Reports module. Hence, logging of these fields is enabled by default. While it is technically possible to disable logging of these fields, we strongly advise against it since doing so will render the standard reports useless. For this reason, you should never switch off the Write IPTC to database option unless you have very specific reasons for doing so.