FotoWeb provides widgets to export assets to an external system, such as a Content Management System. These widgets are ready-made html controls that plug into your web application and enable you to search, retrieve and export the asset you need.
Two widgets are available for use in your custom integrations: The Selection Widget can be called up from the target system and used to search or browse for an asset, select it and export it to the target system. This widget can be used on its own or in combination with the Export Widget, which lets users tune the exported asset's appearance and behavior. The Export Widget cannot be used free-standing.
Using widgets requires user authorization to access FotoWeb. Furthermore, an integration that uses widgets must be registered as a third-party application in FotoWeb. Read on for instructions.
Note: Integrations with widgets that were developed against older versions of FotoWeb (prior to feature release 12, or 8.0.840) will work as before with no changes, provided that the Enable Legacy Widget Integrations option is set in the site settings.
Please see Legacy Widget Integrations for more information.
Choosing your type of integration
Fundamentally, two types of integrations can be made:
1) Integrations using only the Selection Widget to find and export an asset, without additional API functionality
2) Integrations using a combination of the Selection Widget and the API for a fully-customized workflow.
The former is suitable for simple solutions with minimal customization, and where no additional processing is required.
The latter allows for a fully custom integration where API calls can be used to update the metadata of the original asset, where image processing can be applied to the exported asset through download processing profiles, and so on.
Choose the relevant guide below based on the integration you're building.
- Creating an integration that uses Widgets as well as the FotoWeb API
- Learn how to create an integration using Widgets in combination with the FotoWeb API.
- Creating an integration that uses widgets only
- Learn how to create a basic integration that exports an asset using FotoWeb widgets.
- Troubleshooting Widget Integrations
- Troubleshooting suggestions for FotoWeb Widget Integrations. Read this first to make sure you've covered the basics before submitting a support ticket.
- Using the widgets
- Learn how to implement the widgets in your custom integration.