complete step-by-step guide to installing Color Factory on your server.
- Make sure the server meets the system requirements. For more information, see Color Factory system requirements.
- Configure your network to allow communications between the server and client.
- Install Color Factory on your server and configure it using Color Factory Settings.
Configuring the server network settings
Having set up IIS, make sure the server allows incoming client connections and that Color Factory can communicate with the log server.
Although Color Factory is based on a folder monitoring system, some of its features rely on TCP/IP communications on port 7000, which must be opened in the server's firewall.
The Operations Center Status app can be used for monitoring server activity, although you must use the special configuration tool on the server console to configure Color Factory's channels.
To make it easy for administrators and operators to access the Operations Center Status app and the configuration panels for all installed server applications, we recommend that you enable single sign-on. For more information, see Enabling single sign-on to the Operations Center Status app.
Also, as stated in the system requirements, Color Factory communicates with the FotoWare Log Server using UDP port 7000. Make sure that no other services on the server claim this port and interrupt the logging service. Microsoft's DNS server can typically interfere with this port since it can be configured to use an arbitrary port. Therefore, if you are using the Microsoft DNS server, you should make sure that it has been explicitly set to not allow connections on UDP port 7000.
Installing the Color Factory server software
If you are upgrading from a previous version, you must stop all FotoWare-related services on the server:
- Open the Start menu, select Administrative Tools > Services.
- Locate and stop all FotoWare services.
- We recommend backing up your existing configuration before performing the upgrade. If you're running on a virtual server, you can take a snapshot of the system to allow reverting if you run into problems that render your system unavailable after the upgrade. If the software runs on a physical server you can back up the server using your server's backup software.
Installing Color Factory
- To install Color Factory, run the installer that you downloaded from the FotoWare website (http://downloads.fotoware.com). When starting the installer, you may be prompted that additional components are required. If possible, these will be downloaded directly from the FotoWare website before the installation continues.
- On the welcome screen that appears, select Next. To proceed, read and agree to the End-User License Agreement.
- The next dialog displays the release notes. The release notes contain information about recent fixes and currently known issues in the version you are installing.
- Select Next and finally Install to start installing Color Factory.
When Color Factory has been installed, it is configured using the Color Factory Administration program, which runs on the server console. The service can be monitored through the Operations Center, but all workflow configuration is handled in the Color Factory Administration program.
Now, you should start the Color Factory Configuration program and set the initial preferences for the service.