A complete step-by-step guide to installing Fotoware Connect on your server.
- Make sure the server meets the system requirements. For more information, see Connect system requirements.
- Configure your network to allow communications between the server and client.
- Install Connect on your server and configure it using Connect Settings.
Configuring the server network settings
Connect is based on a folder monitoring system. Some of its features rely on TCP/IP communications on port 7000, which must be opened in the server's firewall.
Connect Settings can be used to monitor server activity and configure channels in Connect.
To make it easy for administrators and operators to access the Connect Settings and the configuration panels for all installed server applications, we recommend that you enable single sign-on. For more information, see Enabling single sign-on to the Operations Center Status app.
Also, as stated in the system requirements, Connect communicates with the Fotoware Log Server using UDP port 7000. Make sure that no other services on the server claim this port and interrupt the logging service. Microsoft's DNS server can typically interfere with this port since it can be configured to use an arbitrary port. Therefore, if you are using the Microsoft DNS server, you should make sure that it has been explicitly set to not allow connections on UDP port 7000.
Installing the Connect server software
If you are upgrading from a previous version, you must stop all Fotoware-related services on the server:
- Go to Start > Start > Administrative Tools > Services.
- Locate and stop all Fotoware services.
- We recommend backing up your existing configuration before performing the upgrade. If you're running on a virtual server, it is you can make a snapshot of the system to allow reverting if you run into problems that render your system unavailable after the upgrade. If the software runs on a physical server you can back up the server using your server's backup software.
- To install Connect, run the installer that you downloaded from the Fotoware website (http://downloads.fotoware.com). When starting the installer, you may be prompted that additional components are required. If possible, these will be downloaded directly from the Fotoware website before the installation continues.
- On the welcome screen that appears, select Next. To proceed, read and agree to the End-User License Agreement.
- The next dialog displays the release notes. The release notes contain information about recent fixes and currently known issues in the version you are installing.
- Select Next and finally Install to start installing Connect. When the installer finishes, you will be asked to activate your copy of Connect using the product key you received. For information on activating a product, see Regular activation of a Fotoware software product.
When Connect has been installed and activated, it is configured using Connect Settings.
For more information about the types of protocols Connect supports, see Supported server types and protocols.