When users upload, copy, or move files to an archive, assets will by default be stored in the first document folder in the archive.
This setting can be customized to allow users to choose a subfolder themselves or to let the administrator define the precise folder that assets are stored in. The latter alternative can be useful, for instance, when Color Factory is used to process files directly after uploading before it places them in their final destination folder.
Tip: This setting in the archive configuration is also honored by the API. This means that if you write an integration that uploads files to a certain FotoWeb archive with a predefined input folder set, that's where the uploaded file will be stored. This is an excellent way to control the precise workflow when uploading new content to the system.
- From the Tools menu (cogwheel icon) go to Site Configuration > Archives.
- Open the Export and Import tab.
- In the Copy/Move/Upload to archive section, choose Default, Predefined, or File system:
- Default: Files are always stored in the first document folder in the archive
- User selection: Users are given the option to choose the destination folder in a navigation tree
- File system: The storage folder is preset by the administrator and cannot be overridden.
Tip: If you choose to preset the folder that assets are stored in using the File system option above, you can in fact choose to store the files in a folder that's completely disconnected from the actual archive. By using FotoWare Color Factory, for example, or other processing software, you can then create a workflow that applies processing to the ingested assets before they're stored in their final destination.