How to back up and restore a license
When activating a FotoWare application, a license certificate is downloaded from the FotoWare server and installed in trusted storage on the machine. Trusted storage consists of 2 encrypted files that contain binding information to the hardware on the current system. We recommend including these license files in the backup schedule. In the event of a crash on a server, these files can be restored so that the software can continue in licensed mode.
Which files should I back up?
The files are stored in different locations depending on your operating system:
- In Windows Server 2022, 2019, or 2016, you find them in C:\ProgramData\FlexNet
- In Mac OS, you find them in /Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet
The files can be backed up to any media.
Restoring license files
Follow this procedure to restore the license files. The files can be restored on the original system, or, if the original hardware is broken, on a replacement system. The procedure requires an internet connection.
- Restore the system or install FotoWare applications on a new system.
- Restore the license files to the FLEXnet directory.
- Run fwappactwiz –list to see if the licenses are valid. If your hardware environment has changed substantially, you will most likely not see the licenses, and you must proceed to the next step.
- Each license must be repaired by using the following command from the Windows Command prompt:
fwappactwiz –repair PRODUCT_KEY
FotoWare’s license server will be contacted and a new certificate will be installed.
To repair a license on your Mac
- Open the Utilities folder (Press Shift-Command-U) and start the Terminal application
./FotoWare-Activation-Assistant –repair <your product key>
./FotoWare-Activation-Assistant –repair 123456789
Can I restore the files to new hardware?
If the original hardware is broken and replaced with new, you can restore the files to the new hardware. The procedure above still applies, but you will always be required to repair the license.
What if the repair does not succeed?
Check if you have received a new product key for this license (keys are replaced every year when your agreement is renewed). Use this new product key to activate the software using the UI. Otherwise, contact FotoWare Support for assistance.
What if I don’t have a backup of my license files?
If your software is covered by an agreement, you can log on to the FotoWare Customer Portal and perform a license reset. For more information, see Resetting your product key.
Alternatively, contact FotoWare Support for help reactivating your license.