FotoWeb, Color Factory and Index Manager rely on ffmpeg to perform video transcoding. They require manual installation of FFMPEG as described below.
Follow the instructions below to obtain and install ffmpeg on your FotoWare server(s). Please note that the ffmpeg.org website changes its design from time to time, so the directions may not precisely reflect what you're seeing on the site.
- Go to https://ffmpeg.org/download/
- You want to download executables for Windows, so follow the links to the Windows version
- Note that several suppliers may be available to download ffmpeg from. Choose one of them to go to their website.
- Download the GPL Release version of FFMPEG version 4 for Windows. Look carefully at the available versions - the binaries you need are typically shown in a Release section on the vendors's page.
- Open the downloaded archive and locate the “bin” folder inside it.
Note: Some of the releases are packaged in 7-Zip format - you can obtain the 7-Zip utility from 7-zip.org (external link)
- Copy “ffmpeg.exe” and “ffprobe.exe” to these program folders, based on which FotoWare product(s) you're using:
- Index Manager: “C:\Program Files\FotoWare\Index Manager 8.0”
- Color Factory: “C:\Program Files\FotoWare\Color Factory 8.0”
- FotoWeb: “C:\Program Files (x86)\FotoWare\FotoWeb 8.0\Scripts\Python\fotoware\videotranscoder\bin\win8x64”
- Restart the FotoWare services
If updating from an older version of FotoWeb
Earlier versions of FotoWeb used to include ffmpeg binaries to enable video and audio transcoding. However, because newer versions of FotoWeb may not work with the previously bundled ffmpeg version, we recommend obtaining ffmpeg and placing the binaries in the correct folder as described above.