Creating an index
Creating an index
- In Index Manager Settings, open Indexes.
- Expand the group you would like to an index to and select Add Index. The index properties are then configured on the associated pages, (General, Document Folders, Access list, Filters, Fields, and Advanced).
If you like you can also group collections of indexes by creating a group and dragging an index into the new group.
- Go to the General tab to set the basic properties for the new index.
- Name: Enter a name for the index in this field. This name will be shown when connecting to the archive in FotoStation and FotoWeb. Note: The index name cannot contain characters that are illegal for use in URLs.
- Description: You can add additional information about the archive here.
- Index Folder: Select the location of the folder where the index is stored. The index folder is only used internally by Index Manager, so it does not have to be in a shared location. It should, however, be stored on a fast, local disk with a large cache, since Index Manager will access this folder extensively when processing searches. Use the fastest drive available on the server and make sure it has plenty of space available. A disk that is close to running full will inevitably become heavily fragmented, which in turn will affect the performance of the system.
- Set the indexing options:
- Enable Indexing - Make sure you select this to enable the index. Otherwise, when you start the service the index will remain disabled and unusable.
- Enable search during build-up - Select this if your clients need access to search the archives while it is being indexed, enable this option. Note, however, that this will slow down the indexing process somewhat, and that searches may only produce partial results while the index is building.
- Enable quick startup after restart - When Index Manager is stopped momentarily and then restarted, it will, by default, rescan all document folders on startup. This can take some time with large indexes, so if you want to make the service start more quickly, enable Enable quick startup after restart. This allows Index Manager to start without scanning the document folders attached to the index. However, this only works if the service has been stopped for less than 15 minutes. Any files that have been stored or updated in the document folders while the Index Manager service was stopped will only be updated when the asset is updated while the service is running or the next time an Index Optimization is run.
- Select Save.
Next, you need to attach one or more document folders to the index.