By using taxonomies for navigation you can define metadata that's exposed in the side panel in the user interface and allow users to drill down in the metadata they want to filter the archive contents by.
- Open the relevant archive and select Settings.
- In the Archive details view, open the General tab.
- Turn on the Taxonomy navigation toggle.
- All the metadata fields created on the system are listed. Turn on the toggle for the fields you want to expose for navigation in the archive.
- Select Save to store the changes.