Creating a consent form template
Note: To create a consent form template the FotoWare user must be a member of a group that has been granted the Configure consent management group permission. For more information, see Getting started with consent management.
The consent form template is the foundation of the document (consent form) that a person signs when giving their approval for use.
Consent form template content
Consent form templates typically include:
- general information such as name, language, and type of signee
- terms and conditions of use
- one or more defined categories of use, of which one or more can be mandatory
- custom fields to collect information about the person when they fill in the form (name, email address, and any other information you choose to collect)
- a default email template associated with the consent form
In addition, you specify the archives in which the template is available on the Access list and who can access the template on the Access list tab.
Creating a new consent form template
- From the Tools menu (cogwheel icon) go to Site Configuration > Consent Management > Templates.
The Consent form templates view opens listing all consent form templates.
- Select Create template.
You can cancel, preview, and create your template at any time by selecting Cancel, Preview, or Create template in the open view.
- Enter information on the General, Terms and conditions, Categories, Fields, Email, Archive filter, and Access List tabs, as necessary.
Note: If you are using Safari as your browser, you need to manually allow pop-ups before you can display consent form previews. For more information, see https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/block-pop-ups-sfri40696/mac.
Open the tabs below to enter information.
- Enter the name of the template and, optionally, a description.
- Select a value from the Status drop-down field. The Status of the template must be set to Active for the template to be used to request/obtain consent.
- Select a value from the Language drop-down field. The language set here also applies to the email (subject and content) you send requesting consent.
- Select the appropriate Signee type.
Person - to create a consent form where the signee signs on their own behalf.
Guardian - to create a consent form where the signee signs as guardian giving consent on behalf of another (typically, a minor, such as their child, for example).
Person or guardian - to give the signee the option to choose whether they are signing as themself or as a guardian.
- To make the signed consent form available as a downloadable PDF file, turn on the Allow for the consent form to be downloaded as a PDF after signing toggle.
- To edit the default information in the Company name, About company, and Contact email fields (entered when defining General settings), turn on the Customize toggle.
- Edit the fields as required.
Terms and conditions
Enter any standard usage terms and conditions in the Terms and Conditions field. The contents of this field can be formatted using markdown.
To make accepting the Terms and Conditions a mandatory requirement, turn on the Show an approval checkbox for Terms and Conditions toggle.
On this tab, you find any existing categories of consent and you can add new categories. At least one category must be defined before you create a consent form template. The categories you create here are presented to the user who signs the form with the option to select the categories of use that they agree to.
Categories can be mandatory or optional. You can set this value while editing or creating the value, or directly in the Create consent form template view by selecting the checkbox in the Required column for the relevant category.
- Select Add category.
- In the dialog that opens, select a category from the Select category drop-down list.
- If necessary, edit the default title in the Title field.
- If necessary, edit or delete the category description in the Description field.
- To make the category mandatory, turn on the Required toggle.
- Select Add.
- The new category is added to the Create consent form template view.
Each category you create is assigned a key field - this is a unique identifier that can be used programmatically when interacting with the consent forms through the FotoWare API.
To edit or delete a specific category, select Edit or Delete.
On this tab, you find any existing fields and you can add new fields. These fields are for information about the person filling in the form, for example, first name, last name, email, phone number, and any other information relevant to using the assets.
- Select Add field.
- In the dialog that opens, a Key value is entered by default. You can edit this value, if necessary.
- Enter a label and description for the field in the corresponding fields, if necessary.
- Select values from the drop-down fields for Scope, Data type, and Text type.
- To make this field mandatory, turn on the Required toggle.
- The value in the Regex (regular expression) field is used to validate user input for this field.
- In the Validation message field, enter the message that appears if the input value is not valid.
- Select OK to save your changes.
- To edit the default information in the Email subject, Email header, and Email text fields (entered when defining General settings), turn on the Customize toggle.
- Edit the fields as required.
On this tab, you can select which archives to include in the archive filter of the template. Only assets in these archives can be linked to consent forms created based on this template. The default is to include it in all archives. Alternatively, you can select Include in selected archives or Exclude from selected archives and then select the relevant archives for your choice from the list below. You can only link a consent form to an asset if the asset is located in an archive with the archive filter enabled. For more information, see Linking assets to consent forms.
On this tab, you can select which groups and individuals can access the consent form template. Only these users will have access to request signatures and manage consent forms created based on this template. Also, only these users can link assets to consent forms created based on this template.
- Select Add new member.
- Open the Users and Groups tabs to display and select users and groups.
- Select the users and groups you would like to have access to the consent form template.
- Select Add. The selected users and groups can now access this consent form template.
Once the consent form template is created, you can obtain consent, either by sending a link to sign or by having the person sign the form on your mobile device.